Short quotes from books are in the “Commonplace Book”, which you can find on the main menu. I collect those as I read, just when something strikes me. This list is just for longer pieces, of my own.
Not book reviews, really. Just my reaction to the book, which can be like a classic book review, but more likely a collection of loose comments, or at times even words and phrases from the book that I want to remember.
- “My Antonia”, Willa Cather
- “My Bright Abyss”, Christian Wiman
- “The DaVinci Code”, Dan Brown
- “The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town America”, Bill Bryson
- Book: “Zen Seeing, Zen Drawing”, by Frederick Franck
- Charles Taylor: St. Francis and the Particular
- David Foster Wallace
- Douglas Wilson: on what “Twilight” says about love.
- Gore Vidal
- Guns, Germs, and Steel: Jared Diamond
- Marilynn Robinson: Paris Review interview, quotes
- Notes from Neil Postman: “Amusing Ourselves To Death”
- On finishing the Mataxas Bonhoeffer Biography
- Paul Elie defines “pilgrimage”
- Paul Elie, on Thomas Merton, on Conversation
- The Guns of August, by Barbara Tuchman
- Tolkien: Start with the eagles